Networking is all about making the right connections, however this has to be more than a firm handshake and exchange of details. Once you have made the initial pleasantries your objective is to get to know each other better. Here are eight questions that will help you learn more and assist you in building meaningful relationships. (Credit to Stephen Law-Lyons of APC Cardiovascular.)
Getting to Know You
- What was your favourite food as a child?
- If you could throw any kind of party, what kind would it be?
- Which celebrity of famous person do you get mistaken for?
- What was the last movie, TV show or book that made you cry or tear up?
- What is one of your favourite quotes?
- If you could choose to stay a certain age, what age would that be?
- What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
- What is your first memory of being really excited?
The magic is making notes either at the time, or as soon as you leave your prospect.
Personally I write on the person's business card. I always ask first that it is OK to do so. Once I have noted two or three facts that will act as memory hooks, I show the card owner what I have written. Typically it might say;
- Friendly, tall, slim blond hair
- Keen skiier
- 3 children - James, Charles, Emma.
More Networking Tips and Tricks
Check out the feed on Networking Confidence for a wealth of business building success strategies.